Be Part of the Solution
Preventing opioid misuse takes all of us: parents, friends, educators, community members, and the professional community. Below are places to start. Learn more, and play a role in preventing opioid addiction.
If You Need Pain Medication
- Work with your doctor to make a plan to manage your pain (PDF).
- Learn about and consider all options for the treatment of your pain.
- Know the risks of prescription opioids (PDF).
- Follow-up regularly with your doctor.
If You Are a Parent
Talk to your children about drugs. Here are some tools to help:
- Parent Up
- Family Checkup
- Keep all pain medicine locked up and out of sight. Know how many pills should be in each container.
- Safely dispose of all unused medications.
- Model the behavior you want to see in your child.
If You Are a Prescriber
- Utilize California’s Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, CURES.
- Stay up to date on prescription drug laws.
- Become skilled at having those “difficult” conversations” with patients.
- Learn about alternative treatments for pain.